Owners: Alistair and Lorna Handyside
Home 01404 871360
Mobiles 07772 630104 / 07771 678028
Emergency Services 999 to report an emergency or 111 to make a report
Coastguard 999 and ask for Coastguard
Grid reference: SY181933
Septic Tank: Klargester
We operate on a septic tank system. This does not use any chemicals as it is a “green system”. It is very important that no chemicals of any kind should be used at Higher Wiscombe. We provide all the necessary ecological cleaning materials including:
Washing up liquid, surface cleaner, hand soap, dishwasher tablets and laundry tablets.
Only human waste and loo paper should be disposed of in the toilet. Only liquids (but not melted fat) should go down the sink waste. Please recycle as follows:
- Sanitary items (tampons & towels) condoms. Sanitary bags are provided – please use them.
- Disposable nappies, Wet wipes, baby wipes, moist toilet tissues. Sanitary bags are provided – please use them.
- Babies bottle sterilisers – Where possible please use electric or microwavable bottle sterilisers. Milton has the same effect on the Biodigester tank as bleach so please do not use.
Recycling and non-recyclable waste:
With help of our guests we have managed to recycle an average of over 80% of guest waste (see our Green A-Z video here). We have a dedicated recycling area to help you recycle as much of your rubbish as possible and this is located next to the parking barn. There are dedicated bins for:
Glass: All glass of all colours can be put in the mixed glass bins.
Tins: Please rinse out tins, also includes aluminium foil.
Plastic: Please remove the lids and rinse out plastic milk containers and plastic drink bottles. Plastic food trays and coloured plastic can also be re-cycled.
Paper and Cardboard: Please put all newspaper and magazines in the cardboard recycling bin. Please flatten boxes
Tetra Pacs: There is a dedicated bin for tetra pacs.
Food Waste: All food waste, both cooked and uncooked goes into small bags in the kitchen caddies. The full bags then go in the blue food waste bins located outside your cottage. We take these away for recycling.
General Waste: There are wheelie bins provided for non-recyclable rubbish by each cottage. The rubbish must be securely tied in black sacks before putting in the bins provided. Loose rubbish in the wheelie bins is not acceptable and please under no circumstances put any food waster in these bags. Loose rubbish and Food waste in these bins will result in an extra cleaning charge. Thanks.
- The Winery, located in the cupboard under the stairs down from the top kitchen.
- Thatched. Just outside the patio doors.
- Flint. Just outside the back door heading down to the car parking space.
- Please unload outside your cottage and then move your vehicles to park in the designated spaces and NOT in the courtyard. Every cottage has marked parking spaces and all designated spaces are a short distance from the entrance to your cottage. The Courtyard to be kept clear of parked vehicles, thank you.
- Only guests listed on the booking form may stay overnight, we reserve the right to charge for unauthorised overnight stays and to ask guests to leave.
- You are welcome to walk around our 52 acres, however please do not cross into our neighbours fields, these are Private Property and MUST be respected. A map is provided to show you the boundaries is in the information pack in the cottages.
- In case of FIRE, please evacuate the buildings as fast as possible taking account of all members of your party. Gather in the fields adjacent to the drive out of the property. Dial 999 and say the fire is at HIGHER WISCOMBE, there is a fire plan at all East Devon Stations. Please notify the owners if possible.
Police and Ambulance services
- Nearest stations are in Honiton, dial 999 and say you are at HIGHER WISCOMBE.
- The Colyton and Seaton surgery, Tel: 01297 20877. There are two locations so please ensure you are clear whether your appointment is at Colyton or Seaton. To get to the Colyton surgery turn left at top of drive. Keep going to T-Junction, turn left. When entering Colyford look for sign on left to Colyton, take this turning, Surgery on left before centre of village just beyond Fire Station on left. To get to the Seaton Surgery. Turn left at top of drive, turn left at T-Junction, carry on past first turning to Seaton by BP garage. Take next turning to Seaton on the right. After approx I mile the surgery and chemist is on your left.
Contact NHS 111 who will give you details of an emergency dentist.
- Honiton Hospital, Marlpits Lane, Honiton, EX14 2DA Tel: 01404 540540. The nearest hospital with a Minor Injuries Department is in Honiton, about five miles away. Go to the top of the drive and turn right, carry on until the Hare and Hounds, turn right again. Carry on down the hill to the first roundabout, turn right, past Tesco, carry on until mini roundabout, turn left down hill and it is signposted on your left just before the railway station.
- For full Casualty Departments you need to go to Exeter Hospital, Wonford Road, Exeter EX2 4UG. Tel: 01392 411611. Go to top of drive, turn right. At Hare and Hounds turn right and carry on to bottom of hill going straight ahead at first roundabout. Turn left at bottom roundabout and follow signs to Exeter. If you stay on this road and carry on under the M5 and do not turn off, Hospital signs will appear.
- Smoking is not allowed in any of the properties.
- We welcome dogs at Higher Wiscombe
- Honiton Small Animal Clinic: 14 Ottery Moor La, Honiton EX14 1AW
Emergency Number 01404 42062, out of hours 07813 962357. Vets name is Sandra, ring first To get there at the top of drive turn right, at big crossroads by the Hare and Hounds turn right, go all the way to the bottom roundabout where you can only turn left or right. Turn right, and then take the first left and IMMEDIATE first right. It is the converted house on the corner.
Chinese Lanterns, Dyes, Felt pens and Wax crayons
- None of the above are allowed under any circumstances.
Drones and Fireworks
- Only allowed with express written consent.
- You are welcome to put up decorations in the cottages; however this must be done with an adhesive such as BluTak. No sticky tape or pins.
- Please let us know about any damage or breakages before you leave. We do not charge for minor breakages such as glasses and plates, however we do expect and will charge for more serious damage, as per our Terms and Conditions available here
Banks and Post Office
- All the major banks are available on Honiton High Street, with cash-points. There are post offices in Honiton, Sidmouth and Beer.
- There is a variety of Chemists including Boots, in both Honiton and Sidmouth. Beer has a good local chemist on the High Street. To find out which chemist are operating an out of hour service call NHS 111.
Bath-mats and Shower-mats
- Non –slip bath/ shower mats can be provided please ask when booking.