What is included in our Safe, Clean & LegalSafe, Clean & Legal™ assessment?
inspects everything that a hospitality or accommodation operator needs to do to be compliant with regulation, committed to quality standards and of course safe and clean. It has running since 2018, but has been updated to reflect additional requirements and standards for travel in the post-COVID era.
Safety & legal requirements
- Compliance with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order October 2005
- Health & Safety Assessment of the property
- Public Liability insurance
- Home & Contents insurance
- Compliance with Food Safety & Hygiene regulations
- Compliance with regulations surrounding Allergies and Food Labelling
- Licenses for serving alcohol to the public and special events (where relevant)
- Planning regulations adhered to
- Data Protection Act 1998
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018
- Equality Act 2010
- Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008
- TV Licence
- Other licences where relevant – Performing Rights Society, Phonographic Performance Ltd and Motion Picture Licensing Company
Furniture, Facilities and Equipment
- Equipment should comply with British Safety Standards
- Handrails fitted to staircases
- Garden ponds fenced off
Cleanliness and hygiene
- All areas should be cleaned and checked thoroughly between lets – guests don’t want reminders of other guests!
- Broken or damaged items should be replaced
Communication with guests
- All advertising and pre-booking information should explicitly cover what is included in the price
- Full details of sleeping arrangements and bathrooms available should be provided in all communications
- Any in-house policies must be communicated at the time of booking
- Guests should be informed, prior to booking, of any additional charges or facilities available including cancellation terms, housekeeping and/or breakage deposits
Evaluation and report
Safe, Clean and LegalTM is a pass or fail scheme, based against a full list of criteria. Our assessors will offer advice on best practice or improvements where relevant.
The Assessment is undertaken annually at Higher Wiscombe by Quality In Tourism and details can be seen here https://www.qualityintourism.com/about-qit . The most recent Assessment took place in June 2020.