From the outset, we wanted our cottages to be of the highest quality without impacting on our local environment. Starting from scratch, we designed and converted each of the barns.
When we opened we followed the Visit England self-catering guidelines and became part of NQAS, (the National Quality Assessment Scheme). We have been graded at 5 Star from the outset and Five Star Gold from the introduction of that scheme. We also wanted to make sure that we are limiting the environmental impact of the business and joined GTBS (Green Tourism Business Scheme) and have held the Gold accreditation since 2007. Two years ago we added the ground-breaking accreditation scheme from Quality in Tourism, called ‘Safe, Clean and Legal’. This scheme checks that we have all the required legal certifications, covering insurance, fire, gas, electrical, chimney testing ICO registration etc.
About every five years we benchmark ourselves against competitive business by entering the Excellence Awards. This year we have won Best Holiday cottages in Devon and Best Holiday Cottages in South West England. Previously Higher Wiscombe scooped four awards at the Visit Devon Tourism Awards 2015/16, Best Self-catering, Best Dog-friendly, Runner up in Sustainable Tourism and was awarded overall Winner of Winners.
- Best Self-Catering Business: South West Tourism Excellence Awards 2020/21
- Best Self-Catering Business: Visit Devon Awards 2020/21
- Outstanding contribution to Tourism: South West Tourism Excellence Awards 2021/21
- Quality in Tourism REST Gold Award for Responsible, Ethical and Sustainable Tourism 2021
- Best Dog-Friendly Business: National Visit England Awards 2016/17
- Outstanding contribution to Tourism: South West Tourism Excellence Awards 2016/17
- Visit Devon’s Winner of Winners: Visit Devon Awards 2015/16
- Best Self-Catering Business: Visit Devon Awards 2015/16
- Best Dog Friendly Accommodation: Visit Devon Awards 2015/16
- Runner up in Sustainable Tourism: Visit Devon Awards 2015/16
- Visit England’s Rose Award for Outstanding Customer Service 2015
- Outstanding Contribution to Green Tourism: Green Tourism Awards 2014
- Best Self-Catering Business: National Visit England Awards 2007/8
- Best Self-Catering Business: South West Tourism Excellence Awards 2006/7
So, this is our show off page, where we can display our gongs and most importantly thank all the people who have helped us get this far, in particular the thousands of wonderful guests we have met since opening in 2006!